Being a Disciple
Matthew 7:21 - “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”
I love this verse. It shows me that being a Christian is about action, about being a leader instead of a follower. In James 1:22 it tells us, as Christians to “Be doers of the word, not just hearers.” So what kind of action are you taking on your daily Christian walk? Are you witnessing? Are you sharing the word? Are you using the talents God gave you to make a difference? I guess a better question is – are you being a disciple for Christ?
What is a disciple? The simple definition of a disciple is one who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another. So what qualities does it take to be a disciple for Christ?
1. Knows Priority – You have a direction
2. Has the Discipline to follow Christ each day of Your life – Live the Lifestyle
3. Knows Reality – be aware of the people and circumstances around you
4. Shows Empathy – be sensitive to the pains and joys of those around you
5. Takes Initiative – do not wait for others to step forward but have the courage to step forward yourself
6. Shows Generosity – give thanks for God’s blessings and allow God’s blessings to flow through you to others
7. Has passion in Faith – Believe in God, a Disciple knows that all is possible with God
8. Has Humility – Be humble. Realize that you didn’t do it – God did! Don’t try to take credit and don’t worry about who gets credit
9. Has Hope – it’s easy to have faith when things are going well. It takes strength to maintain hope when the world beats you up
10. Has Love – be unselfish, serve and sacrifice for others
As you continue to walk your Christian path, remember to be a continuation of Christ here on Earth by becoming a disciple for Him, sharing the word and by doing God’s will.
Posted by David Segrest