Champion Chicory — The Wildlife "Super Forb"
Zones 1 & 2: Spring or Fall
Zones 3 & 4: Fall
1 lb. plants 1/4 acre
3 lbs. plants 1/2 acre
10 lbs. plants 3 acres
25 lbs. plants 6 1/2 acres
1/8 to 1/4 inch
Use a balanced fertilizer such as 13-13-13 or similar and apply at 200 to 300 lbs./acre
The best varieties of the hottest plant in food plots. Tecomate® Champion Chicory has been the industry go-to for years due to its overall quality, attraction, production and nutrition. As one of the healthiest plants in the food plot world it provides high protein forage that is great for antler growth, improved digestion and strengthens a deer’s immune system. This champion can grow in almost any soil type. Produces high-quality, year-round forage for 3 to 5 years. Great as a standalone or blends well with other seeds, especially Tecomate® King Ladino White Clover or Tecomate® Trophy Grazer Forage Oats.
Super forb deer cannot resist
CHICORY lasts 2 to 5 years and is a beneficial forb that deer instinctively crave. We started using chicory in our mixtures over 10 years ago and introduced the wildlife world to the benefits of chicory as a food plot component. This highly digestible forb provides protein and energy to the diet while stimulating the rumen to work more efficiently. Chicory is adapted to most regions of the US. It has a deep tap root that contains stored carbohydrates which allow the plant to go dormant during extreme winter or summer stresses. Chicory is also very drought tolerant. The root contains many benefits that aid in alleviating digestive disorders. Deer will frequent chicory plots when overfeeding on corn and acorn crops. Chicory can be planted as a monostand or in combination with other species. Tecomate has an extensive chicory research program with multiple varieties to determine which are the most productive and desirable. We have now taken it one step further to include our proprietary Yellow Jacket seed coating containing Zeba. Chicory is ideal for use in all zones.
- Protein content: 24% to 32%
- Fast growing, highly preferred & nutritious
- Drought resistant, Survives tough soil & cold tolerant
- Grows virtually anywhere, year-round for 3 to 5 years
- Excellent fall attraction
- Blends well with other seeds for custom mixtures
- Contributes to rumen health in deer
Chicory Planting Suggestions
- Plant in a sunny location that has been disked to create a clean, level and firm seedbed.
- Tecomate recommends liming if the pH is below 5.8 and fertilizing with a balanced fertilizer such as 13-13-13 at the rate of 200 to 300 pounds per acre.
- No-till drill, cultivate and broadcast or cultivate and drill seed. Plant at a rate of 3 pounds per acre. When broadcasting, cover seed by dragging or cultipacking. Plant 1/8 to ¼ inch deep. Avoid planting too deep.
- Use grass selective herbicide or mow to about 6 inches high in spring/early summer. Re-fertilize at recommended rates from routine soil samples. Overseed to refresh plot.
Food Plot Seed Contents:
Tecomate® premium chicory